Sunday, July 17, 2011

My First Post

I am excited about this trip. I have to keep telling myself that because part of me is a little nervous. This is a week on the trail with everything on my back. I have not done that since I was a teenager. So I've been trying to get into better shape - running and Bikram Yoga! I'm also thinking about a cortizone shot for my bum left shoulder before I leave. Brian and I began to get equipment a few weeks ago. We showed up at REI at 5 a.m. for their used equipment sale. 100 people were already in line ahead of us. The store lays out a bunch of returned and used equipment and allows 25 people in at a time starting at 7 a.m. You have 15 minutes to get what you want. Its crazy. Brian performed well under the pressure - grabbing two great used backpacks, two sleeping bags and a tent. I think I grabbed a pair of sunglasses. So I can see the bears better.

1 comment:

  1. LOL! Sunglasses! You are right though, all I can think of is bears. I hope you don't see any. At least any withing stone throwing distance.
    I am excited for you two to do this, although it will be a challenge.
    Did you read A Walk in the Woods Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson? I read this last summer. Was a great book, you probably would enjoy it.
    Good luck on the trip, I will keep checking the blog.

    ReplyDelete